It's been speculated the sheepfoot shaped blade originated with mariners who found the rounded tip especially beneficial when the knife was accidentally dropped (think working on a ship in pitching seas) as it couldn't stab the foot when hitting the deck. It's also been hypothesized that commanding officers on these ships preferred rambunctious hardworking sailors carry knives without pointed tips, especially while in port blowing off steam after months at sea.
The Atlantic Salt is a great rescue knife that is designed for seafarers, rescue workers, EMT's, ranchers and anyone cutting around flesh in an emergency. This rustproof version of Spyderco's Atlantic Salt is a modified Rescue made with state of the art non-rusting H1 steel. H1 is a precipitation-hardened steel containing nitrogen instead of carbon, which cannot rust. The hollow-ground blade offers remarkable cutting performance in and around fresh and saltwater. The textured black fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) handle features Volcano Grip and includes a lanyard hole. Comes with a reversible titanium pocket clip for right or left- handed use.
- Overall Length: 8.25 in.
- Blade Length: 3.69 in.
- Cutting Edge: 3.375 in.
- Blade Thickness: 0.13 in.
- Blade Material: H1 Rustproof Stainless Steel
- Blade Style: Sheepsfoot
- Blade Grind: Hollow Ground
- Blade Finish: Satin
- Edge Type: Fully Serrated SpyderEdge
- Hole Diameter: 9/16 in. (14 mm)
- Handle Length: 4.625 in.
- Handle Material: FRN (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon)
- Handle Color: Black
- Weight: 2.75 oz.
- Carry Method: Ambidextrous 2-Position Pocket Clip (Right/Left Carry, Tip-Up)
- Knife Type: Manual Opening Folder
- Opening Mechanism: Thumb Hole
- Locking Mechanism: Lockback w/ David Boye Dent
- Brand: Spyderco
- Model: Atlantic Salt
- Model Number: C89SBK
- Made in Seki-City, Japan