Choosing The Right Knife
The following information is courtesy of Buck Knives to help you choose the right knife for your needs.
STEPS TO CHOOSING THE RIGHT KNIFE
1. HOW WILL YOU USE YOUR KNIFE?
- Everyday: Are you opening boxes or cutting twine?
- Outdoor (Backpacking/Climbing/Hiking/Camping): Does your activity involve using rope?
- Hunting/Fishing: Are you field dressing game or cleaning/filleting fish?
- Tactical/Survival: Do you need a heavy-duty knife that won't fail?
- Limited Edition/Custom: Are you a collector?
2. THE FEATURES THAT MATTER
- Fixed-blade: Always ready and dependable.
- Folding knife: Compact, safer to carry; improved dependability with locking blade.
- One-handed opening: Has a thumb stud, blade hole or other feature to facilitate one-hand use. Some models are one-hand opening and one-hand closing as well.
- Gutting/skinning blade: For field dressing game.
- Thick Blade: For heavy-duty tasks.
- Light-weight: Composite or other materials minimize weight.
- Saw edge: For cutting wood or bone.
- Sharpness: Stays sharp and is easy to sharpen.
3. THE MATERIALS MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE
- A strong blade has good edge retention, is resistant to rust and sharpens well.
- S30V is the best blade steel available. It is a high vanadium stainless steel with very high edge retention.
- 12C27Mod Sandvik provides supreme corrosion resistance with great ductility and strength for wear resistance and durability.
- 13C26 Sandvik provides great edge retention and hardness for wear resistance and strength.
- 420HC is a stainless steel that provides excellent rust resistance, has good edge retention and is easy to sharpen. In a word, ideal.
- When you hold your knife the handle should feel solid and well constructed.
- A good handle feels solid and well constructed when you hold it. Choose from several different styles and materials.
- Ergonomic design adds comfort.
- Rubber or textured handles are a sure grip in wet conditions.
- Wood adds beauty to the knife.
- Plastic/composite materials are durable under extreme conditions.
Your company has a very fine selection of quality items. Many of the more popular brands are nearly impossible to get from other vendors without considerable wait times. But here it is...in record time. Good to know you had it in stock and it's on the way.
--Pete - Los Angeles, CA
Shop by Brand
Shop by Category
Search knives, gear & more
|Your cart is currently empty|